Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Hake - impaled at last!

Hake & Tuna Kebabs with Tomatoes on the Vine and Grilled Hampshire Asparagus

Tuesday is 'white fish night' because the bin men come on Wednesday morning. I was going to bake monkfish parcels wrapped in parma ham, but Waitrose didn't have any yesterday, so I grabbed the chance to Deal with Hake.
The rather drastic way of expressing myself faced with this fish has a specific reason. Many years ago, a person of not dissimilar a name, wreaked havoc in our family's life, and that of many others. I came close to plotting semi-criminal revenge on him at the time. Reason prevailed, but the wish
to inflict unspeakable deeds in a sinister ritual manner upon hake remained. Alas, there always seems to be a more alluring alternative to hake. Fast forward to the Bank holiday weekend, when, by sheer chance (1), the man was talked about twice within 48 hours. My anger resurfaced with the kind of bile and venom normally reserved for a certain Mrs. T. So I impaled him, err, it. He, err, it, was too weak to withstand the grilling though. No surprise there. Wrapping it in parma ham could have prevented its predictable flakiness (2) but that would have been too good for him.

I devoured fish and vegetables with a salad, and The Boy had pasta with gorgonzola sauce - the
superquick one that comes straight from the freezer (Lidl, excellent value). Very useful when you haven't got ANY time to get the food on the table. Again, super easy and super quick, and definitely heart-healthy as most of the chilli and garlic oil I brushed everything with remained on the foil.
_______________________________
(1) Or is it? My friend B. and I used to maintain that there is no such thing as a coincidence.
(2) 'flaky'- bei Fisch so etwas wie flockig, locker; also wenn er zwar noch bissfest ist, aber in Stücke zerfällt; bei Menschen, vor allem AE = merkwürdig, verdreht, skuril, exzentrisch, leicht verrückt, nicht ganz da, launenhaft, unberechenbar, wankelmütig, labil

3 comments:

thepassionatecook said...

you're blogging again... how could I miss that! will be sure to check in regularly again now...
i love your hake story - i have people like that in my past... i need to find a food that sounds similar to their name and give them a good old treatment myself ;-))

Vaishali said...

Hi Zabeena, About your question on Tried and Tasted, you are very welcome to send in your post. The event is open to all bloggers and non-bloggers, regardless of what you blog about. Looking forward to seeing what you send in!

Zabeena said...

Thanks to both of you for stopping by. I'm looking forward to your story of human-related food assault, Johanna!
Great, Vaishali, I'll be off to the kitchen now, to soak some soya mince!